i386/79730: SLIM DRIVE COMBO fails with READ_BIG error on kernel startup

Christopher Thielen chris at luethy.net
Sat Apr 9 12:20:22 PDT 2005

>Number:         79730
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       SLIM DRIVE COMBO fails with READ_BIG error on kernel startup
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD .ucdavis.edu. 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11 04:21:45 GMT 2004     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Though I indicated I was running 5.2, the problem is with 5.3. I tested it with 5.4-rc1 in hopes it was fixed but it is not. Whenever I boot a FreeBSD version after 5.2, the kernel start up on the CD-ROM installer and on the installed OS (if I go ahead with the install) fails with acd0 errors that READ_BIG timed out. This is an eMachines M2350, with SLIM COMBO drive. The exact same machine works fine on 5.2, so I'm not sure what happened. If I boot into safe mode it works fine, but the CD-ROM drive is very slow -- things install at less than 100 kb/s as opposed to the 700 or 800 kb/s if not running in safe mode.
>How-To-Repeat:
Merely attempt to install or use FreeBSD 5.3 or 5.4-rc1.
>Fix:
Run in Safe Mode (though this is really undesirable).