kern/62855

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Tue Feb 17 16:30:22 PST 2004

The following reply was made to PR i386/62855; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: kern/62855
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:20:53 -0800 (PST)

 On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Mike Durian wrote:
 > On Tuesday 17 February 2004 01:59 pm, Nate Lawson wrote:
 > >
 > > > My system is a Netfinity 7000 M10, with the newest BIOS I can find.
 > > > The BIOS release notes say the system has ACPI for compatibility with
 > > > Windows 2000.
 > >
 > > How old is this system?  What's the date of the last BIOS revision?  How
 > > does it run without ACPI?
 >
 > The system was made in 1999.  The latest BIOS is version 1.05 from 2000-03-01.
 > It seems to run okay without ACPI, though a number of PNP devices remain
 > unidentified at boot.

 It's not likely ACPI is supported on the box if it's that old.  Even
 machines that claim to support ACPI often had major problems.  What's
 happening is that the RSDP, which is the root pointer for ACPI, can't be
 found in physmem.  It's likely that you have to turn on ACPI in the BIOS
 for the BIOS to install the tables.  If you can't do that, then just add
 hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" to your loader.conf and enable apm instead.

 -Nate