i386/52593: Kernel panic when starting apm

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jun 24 08:52:07 PDT 2003

> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:42:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd at FreeBSD.org>
>
> Synopsis: Kernel panic when starting apm
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: mdodd
> State-Changed-When: Sat Jun 21 22:39:09 PDT 2003
> State-Changed-Why:
> No modifications were made to the APM code after May 8 and before May 16.
>
> Is it possible you altered something in the system BIOS?
>
> Are you still experiencing the problem?
>

> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-i386->mdodd
> Responsible-Changed-By: mdodd
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Jun 21 22:39:09 PDT 2003
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> No modifications were made to the APM code after May 8 and before May 16.
>
> Is it possible you altered something in the system BIOS?
>
> Please confirm that you still experience this problem with an up
> to date source tree.

I could have sworn that I posted a followup to this!

I have worked around the problem. It was an interaction between APM
and the kernel DISABLE_PSE option. I can run that option with ACPI. I
can run APM without it. The two together don't work at all.

I should have tried to track it down further, but I just removed the
option statement from my configuration and went on normally.

Thanks for looking at this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)