i386/53324: pam_group problems (PAM_RUSER used instead of PAM_USER)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav des at ofug.org
Sat Jun 14 16:00:25 PDT 2003

The following reply was made to PR i386/53324; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des at ofug.org>
To: Kamen at edelweiss.dyns.cx
Cc: "Angelov <kamenangelov"@netscape.net,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/53324: pam_group problems (PAM_RUSER used instead of
 PAM_USER)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:59:41 +0200

 Kamen Angelov <kamenangelov at netscape.net> writes:
 > I believe this is a problem with pam_group itself: the module reads
 > the PAM_RUSER field instead of PAM_USER when trying to fetch the
 > username of the user. I believe PAM_USER would be the correct field
 > to read in this context.

 No.  PAM_RUSER is the applicant, PAM_USER is the user you're trying to
 log in as.  The purpose of pam_group(8) is to check that the applicant
 is in the correct group.

 The correct solution to your problem would be to make pam_group(8)
 understand the auth_as_self flag, not to blindly change PAM_RUSER to
 PAM_USER.

 > When PAM_RUSER is replaced with PAM_USER all warnings disappear and
 > everything seem to work as expected.

 Except for su(1), which is what pam_group(8) is intended for.

 DES
 Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des at ofug.org