i386/53324: pam_group problems (PAM_RUSER used instead of PAM_USER)

Kamen Angelov kamenangelov at netscape.net
Sat Jun 14 12:20:10 PDT 2003

>Number:         53324
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       pam_group problems (PAM_RUSER used instead of PAM_USER)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD edelweiss.dyns.cx 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #11: Sat Jun 14 03:10:32 EDT 2003 root at edelweiss.dyns.cx:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/EDELWEISS i386

I use pam_group to control which users can use which services. I have the following line
in my PAM configuration for my FTP server:

auth requisite pam_group.so group=allow_ftp

With this line uncommented, the server refuses access to everyone: even the users who are supposed to have access to it.

With (mostly) the same PAM setting, I get the following error in the SSHD log:

Jun 14 14:19:07 edelweiss sshd[26043]: error: PAM: authentication error

and then the user is allowed in (?!?!?).

I believe this is a problem with pam_group itself: the module reads the PAM_RUSER field instead of PAM_USER when trying to fetch the username of the user. I believe PAM_USER would be the correct field to read in this context.

When PAM_RUSER is replaced with PAM_USER all warnings disappear and everything seem to work as expected.

>How-To-Repeat:

I believe I answered this above.

>Fix:

Run "Search and Replace" on PAM_RUSER and replace it with PAM_USER.