conf/137870: [locale] en_DK needed

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Wed Aug 19 14:40:06 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR conf/137870; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd at opal.com>
To: Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org>
Cc: freebsd-i18n at FreeBSD.org, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: conf/137870: [locale] en_DK needed
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:30:30 +0200

 On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:23:37 +1000, Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:

 > > I think the locale name en_ISOdate or even en_UK.isodate and
 > > en_US.isodate or something along those lines would be more suitable.
 >
 > The optional part behind the country is reserved for the font family.
 > Latn or Cyrl etc.
 >
 > What you are more looking at is a unused language string (like "xx"
 > to make it "xx_DK") which has the right definitions in it.
 >
 > I don't think that the right place for this non-standard thing is
 > in the base system, a port would be a much cleaner solution.
 >
 > Edwin

 You are right about the part after the period being reserved, although
 it seems it's a character set rather than a font family.

 The format appears to be:
 	xx_YY.charset
 		xx = ISO639 2-letter language code
 		YY = ISO3166 2-letter country code
 		charset = UTF-8, ISO8859-1, CP1131, etc

 For years now I have used the name en_ISO.UTF-8 myself for exactly the
 purpose that the poster is requesting, without anything apparently
 breaking.  While the string "ISO" is obviously not a 2-letter ISO3166
 country code, it does not appear to break anything.

 I agree that this should be done as a port, rather than added to the
 base system.

 	-jr