The recent thread...

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jun 12 13:02:11 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:12:59PM -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:

> All that is needed is someone to coordinate and get this all started
> with the mirror operators.

I've been told there isn't really a "Mirror Coordinator" job and it's
not clear to me who would decide whether or not there should be one
(and then, naturally, appoint one... :-/).  So far Jun is the closest
person I can come to as far as being a director of what happens
amongst the mirrors so for now I'm pestering him with what approach to
take.  Jun is the one who handles access to the ftp-master set of
machines and that sort of thing.  This is basically what we came up
with - I'll take the steps I've mentioned so far and then see where it
leads.  I don't mind taking on the task you mentioned and will stash
it away for future reference.  I'm afraid that task would be something
that would take a while.  The mirror structure as it exists now got
started a very long time ago and there is a very mixed bag as far as
what happens at each site goes.  As Jun cautioned me hubs@ isn't even
an "authoritative" list - there are Official Mirror Sites whose admins
aren't listening right now. :-)

I'll aim towards being able to do what you folks want and see where
it goes.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu