The recent thread...

Murray Stokely murray at freebsdmall.com
Thu Jun 12 12:10:33 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 02:02:44PM -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> For now I'd like to learn how to crawl before I attempt walking.
> I'll be drafting a "Please handle releases <this> way" we can
> pass on to the RE folks now that there is interest in having
> a more formal and "staged" release.  When the draft is ready I'll
> post it here for comments, ammend it as needed, and then we can
> try to pass it on to re@ for them to chew on.

That one part of it, but another important part is coordination with
the mirror operators to generate combined transfer statistics.  I sent
out a request 6 months ago about this and some individual operators
were willing to help out, but no one stepped up to do the coordination
required.

We need someone to coordinate with the mirrors to come up with a
standard way that the FTP and HTTP log files can be fetched from the
various mirrors.

Nightly scripts running on a set machine would then fetch the log
files, recognize a few different standard formats, and then process
them to generate a combined report that is posted to a web page and
sent out to this list on a weekly or monthly basis.

Aside from the fetching/rsyncing of multiple logs from various sites,
this isn't much more complicated than the old combined
www.freebsd.org/ftp.freebsd.org transfer statistics we used to
generate for cdrom.com 5 years ago.

The scripts to parse the log files and generate very nice graphs,
top-ten lists, etc are very easy to write or adapt from existing
sources (mostly in Perl).

All that is needed is someone to coordinate and get this all started
with the mirror operators.

Of course, all of this is a different task than the one you've
outlined for yourself in the message I'm replying to, but I hope
you'll consider taking up this work to. ;) You'd be a hero in the
FreeBSD world.

     - Murray