[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 5.1 Released!

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jun 10 07:20:07 PDT 2003

jason andrade wrote:
 > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That won't be possible, at least for me.  I am FTP admin at
 > > ftp7.de, but I am not root on that machine, so I cannot
 > > create ssh accounts.  Even if I was root there, I wouldn't
 > > be allowed to create ssh accounts for "strangers", because
 > > it is a university machine.  (It doesn't matter whether the
 > > account is restricted to one command via an ssh key.)
 >
 > that's a bummer.  but perhaps we can come up with two sets
 > of triggers.  one is via ssh, the other is the more normal
 > 'polling' system.  the master updates a file.. which is
 > periodically checked on some clients, and if the date in it
 > is later than they previously had, it causes an update ?

Yes, that would work, I guess.

However, what's wrong with the e-mail idea?

Regards
   Oliver

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this
is not necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where
they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting
under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925