Building a file server for home

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Feb 11 03:16:06 UTC 2010

This is a continuation of a post I started in -stable.
http://marc.info/?t=126560537900002&r=1&w=2

I'm going to be running FreeBSD 8.x with RAIDZ.  Most of what I've
decided upon / has been suggested is at
http://dan.langille.org/2010/02/10/the-file-server/

In short, I'm pretty much decided upon this case:

* Athena Power CA-SWH01BH8 Pedestal case
  * http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192058
  * contains 2 SATAx4 Hot-Swap HDD bays
  * sounds like good value for a case with hot swap
  * got a better case?

Various suggestions have been made for the motherboard and HDD.  I'm
asking you folks for suggestions based on what you know.

Here's the list of items to be selected, but feel free to suggest stuff
not listed:

  * mother board
  * power supply
  * hard drives
  * RAM
  * perhaps a caching SSD

If the motherboard lacks the SATA connections, I'm probably going to use
the Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Express-Ports-Controller-SY-PEX40008/dp/B002R0DZWQ/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258452902&sr=1-22

Thanks.