HP Photosmart C4180

jason henson walkerindarkness at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 06:01:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de>wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 03:38:46AM -0500, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> > Yes, please give me more info when you find the time. I tried setting it
> up
> > a while back but just got done building a new machine and wanted to give
> it
> > another go. I got a good deal on the all-in-one and would love to get it
> > working.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 03:15:25AM -0400, jason henson wrote:
> > > I have a hp photosmart c3140, I think you can use the driver for
> generic hp,
> > > plc or plc 3 I think.  I can check my freebsd machine later if you need
> > > more.  I also used lpr, the built in system print spooler I think. On
> Sat,
> > > Oct 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Bryan Cassidy <
> north_side_sox_fan at comcast.net>wrote:
>
> I don't know if that particular one speaks plc, but if you want to
> be able to scan too (and have X installed on the box for the gui) then
> look at /usr/ports/print/hplip3 - looks like it supports your all-in-one,
> including printing (using cups), scanning (using sane) and status info:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c4100_series.html
>
>  HTH,
>        Juergen
>
> PS: I think all I had to do when testing an earlier update of that port
> was setting up ugen* permissions for my user in /etc/devfs.rules (there's
> some info in /usr/ports/print/hplip3/files/pkg-message.in - things are
> a little different with the new usb stack in 8 and -current tho) and
> then running hp-setup as root (so it can access the cups config),
> selecting the right ppd file for the printer.  (seems to be
> hp-photosmart_c4100_series-hpijs.ppd.gz for yours.)
>
> PPS: your mailer sends broken Message-ID headers. :)
> "

I didn't like the hplip3 port, it ws the only thing that used qt on my
machince.  I don't remember if I got hplip3 to work, not meaning qt was a
problem.

for lpd with the ghostscript drivers installed you will likely need to
correct the stair case effect via the ifhp file and change permissions on it
to print. Configure lpd to run, check the handbook.

in /usr/etc/printcap i have
lp:hp:photosmart:c3140:\
     :sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp:\
     :lp=/dev/unlpt0:\