HP Photosmart C4180

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Oct 17 21:34:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 03:38:46AM -0500, Bryan Cassidy wrote:
> Yes, please give me more info when you find the time. I tried setting it up
> a while back but just got done building a new machine and wanted to give it
> another go. I got a good deal on the all-in-one and would love to get it
> working.
>
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 03:15:25AM -0400, jason henson wrote:
> > I have a hp photosmart c3140, I think you can use the driver for generic hp,
> > plc or plc 3 I think.  I can check my freebsd machine later if you need
> > more.  I also used lpr, the built in system print spooler I think. On Sat,
> > Oct 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Bryan Cassidy <north_side_sox_fan at comcast.net>wrote:

I don't know if that particular one speaks plc, but if you want to
be able to scan too (and have X installed on the box for the gui) then
look at /usr/ports/print/hplip3 - looks like it supports your all-in-one,
including printing (using cups), scanning (using sane) and status info:
	http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c4100_series.html

 HTH,
	Juergen

PS: I think all I had to do when testing an earlier update of that port
was setting up ugen* permissions for my user in /etc/devfs.rules (there's
some info in /usr/ports/print/hplip3/files/pkg-message.in - things are
a little different with the new usb stack in 8 and -current tho) and
then running hp-setup as root (so it can access the cups config),
selecting the right ppd file for the printer.  (seems to be
hp-photosmart_c4100_series-hpijs.ppd.gz for yours.)

PPS: your mailer sends broken Message-ID headers. :)