PCI-X SATA Card + Server Recommendation

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Oct 29 15:24:18 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 07:16:06 am Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >  When can we expect NCQ support for FreeBSD?
>
> When someone implements it.  If it's a serious issue for you, either
> implement it or offer to pay someone to implement it for you.

If I remember correctly -- this is from nearly a year ago -- Soren was going
to do so for at least AHCI (Intel) things. It's a pretty big change in the
way ata(4) works, because of the pervasive assumption that one ATA command
results in one corresponding response. That assumption made doing FIS-based
things (for SiI3124 support, oh irony in this thread) complicated as well.

I really don't know what the status of this work on Soren's side is. Nor do I
remember anything of my attempts to work NCQ into the SiI driver parts of
ata(4). I think I ran quite quickly into issues of simply remembering which
slots were in use; it was going to be a horrific hack on my part in any case.

Note that drivers like the Areca one do do NCQ, but they hook in to the SCSI
subsystem where that fits better with the design as a whole.

[ade]

--
Adriaan de Groot