Frebsd 7-STABLE, atapicd, atapicam and Intel errors [SOLVED]

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 19 05:03:47 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:56:37PM +0100, Jan Sebosik wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick napsal(a):

>>> Yes, for sure (I`ve mentioned them in my first mail)..

>> Hmm... I'm still confused here.  Let me see if I can figure it out.
>>
>> When HPET is enabled and you try to boot a FreeBSD CD, you receive
>> the READ_BIG errors over and over, and it never stops.
>>
>> But if you disable HPET and try to boot a FreeBSD CD, it works.
>>
>> Once the OS is installed (with HPET disabled), if you run "kldload
>> atapicd", you receive the following error:
>>
>>   g_vfs_done(): acd0[READ(offset=32768, length=2048)] error 5
>>
>> And if you try to mount the CD by doing:
>>
>>   mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt/cd0
>>
>> Then you start seeing the READ_BIG errors again, and they never
>> stop.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>>

> No Jeremy, we don`t understand each other.. sorry for my confusing
> explanations in my previous postings.
>
> I`ve FreeBSD-7 STABLE installed on HDD for a long time, so I don`t need
> to boot FreeBSD CD /w installer. Last I`ve updated to kernel from 13th
> November (via csup + make buildkernel/installkernel procedure). Before
> I`ve not used FreeBSD some time because DRI is not workin` with onboard
> graphics (Intel GMA4500, but Mr. Noland is doing great job here).
>
> But now to the situation/problem:
>   you are almost 100% right, but I`m not booting FreeBSD from CD, but
> from harddrive (SATA-300 mode). After I kldload atapicd, a see the error
> you have up there ( g_vfs_done() ), and also I`m unable to mount
> /dev/acd0 anywhere ending /w READ_BIG neverending errors. Maybe they
> sometimes ends, but after 10 minutes of waiting I`ve pressed hard-reset
> button.

Okay now I understand.  Thank you for taking the time to explain!  :-)

And when you disable HPET in the BIOS, what happens?

> Maybe I should try -CURRENT sometimes with your proposed ata patches (or
> are they merged in right now?).

Sure, you're free to try CURRENT.  The ATA code on CURRENT was
modularised, and also a very large patch applied; I can't promise it
fixes your CD/DVD drive issues though.

I had problems getting CURRENT to see my PCI SATA Promise controller (it
wasn't appearing in pciconf -lv, nor dmesg), but I had no problems with
CURRENT seeing my ICH7 controller.  I also had other problems with
CURRENT which caused me to go back to RELENG_7.  CURRENT is undergoing
lots of changes right now, so I recommend subscribing to -current if you
plan on running it.

I personally haven't written any ATA patches, except for extending
atacontrol to support per-disk write cache enable/disable.  I think
you might be confusing me with Andrey V. Elsukov, who *has* written
lots of ATA stuff.