Hardware is compatible with FreeBSD 4.x but fails on FreeBSD 6.x

Anton Zavrin anton at atoyf.com
Sun Jan 1 13:04:40 PST 2006

Hello,

Can someone provide some input on such phenomena.

I tried to install FreeBSD 6.0 on the same computer that is currently
running FreeBSD 4.10, but when I try to wipe existing harddrive clean it
says no HDDs found, also, advising me to check if my HDD controller is
supported or something in that spirit.

This is from dmesg on that PC:

atapci0: <VIA 8235 ATA133 controller> port 0xfc00-0xfc0f at device 17.1
on pci0

ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0

ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0

I checked FreeBSD hardware notes for 6.0 and didn't see any references
for this controller. Does it mean I must change my motherboard to
install 6.0 or/and up?

Thanks much for your input