what about highpoint 1640 SATA RAID controller ?

Toll, Eric etoll at vipstructures.com
Wed Nov 30 17:35:06 GMT 2005

> > > well, subj already says ;), however I'm planning to
buy a good,
> > > supported and possibly not very expensive SATA RAID
> > PCI
> > > controller for my FreeBSD server (an IBM x206). I'll
> > install
> > > FreeBSD 6.0-R from scratch.
> > >

> > 3Ware is my favorite, it has a true hardware based RAID.
I thought
> > hipoint, promise etc just leach off of the cpu to do
> > its job.   I paid just over $100.00 for a 2 port 64bit
3Ware

> I think it depends on models, because, according to the
PDF
> online manual, the highpoint 1640 is hardware based (using

> the 372A chipset) and provides its own BIOS-based
> setup&configure utility.
>
> I agree some models are just "software" or "hybrid" RAIDs
>
> > card.  Recommend the WD Raid edition drives.  Alt+2 to
> setup the RAID
> > array in the 3Ware bios page.  Group the drives..
> > Boot FreeBSD and it sees the card without having to do
anything.
> > Neeto GUI webserver to check array etc. It can also
email
> you if the
> > array gets into trouble..
>
> this 3ware card sounds intersting, but I'm not sure about
the
> needs of a 64bit PCI connector.. I have to check if my
x206
> does provide it and/or the card is PCI 32bit compatible.
>
> Anyway, thanks for answers :)

You are quite welcome.  The 64 Bit 3Ware cards *will* work
in a 32bit slot.

Another plus is that the 3Ware has a small http daemon that
lets you monitor the condition of the array using a web
browser.  Also it can send you an email when the array gets
into trouble.  I'm fairly sure the hipoint doesn't offer
these things. 3Ware's support of FreeBSD is exceptional
IMHO.

Also when I was speaking with 3Ware about controllers they
recommended the Western Digitial RE SATA (Raid Edition)
Drives. I did buy them and am very happy with them.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Kind Regards,

Eric