what about highpoint 1640 SATA RAID controller ?

Alessandro de Manzano ale at unixmania.net
Wed Nov 30 07:49:30 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:38:27PM -0500, Toll, Eric wrote:

> > well, subj already says ;), however I'm planning to buy a
> > good, supported and possibly not very expensive SATA RAID
> PCI
> > controller for my FreeBSD server (an IBM x206). I'll
> install
> > FreeBSD 6.0-R from scratch.
> >

> 3Ware is my favorite, it has a true hardware based RAID.  I
> thought hipoint, promise etc just leach off of the cpu to do
> its job.   I paid just over $100.00 for a 2 port 64bit 3Ware

I think it depends on models, because, according to the PDF online
manual, the highpoint 1640 is hardware based (using the 372A chipset)
and provides its own BIOS-based setup&configure utility.

I agree some models are just "software" or "hybrid" RAIDs

> card.  Recommend the WD Raid edition drives.  Alt+2 to setup
> the RAID array in the 3Ware bios page.  Group the drives..
> Boot FreeBSD and it sees the card without having to do
> anything.  Neeto GUI webserver to check array etc. It can
> also email you if the array gets into trouble..

this 3ware card sounds intersting, but I'm not sure about the needs of
a 64bit PCI connector.. I have to check if my x206 does provide it
and/or the card is PCI 32bit compatible.

Anyway, thanks for answers :)

--

bye!

Ale