sil3114 versus sil3114a

Joe Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Tue Nov 8 17:58:15 PST 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 09:15:35AM -0400, Gary D. Margiotta wrote:
> I would highly recommend the HighPoint 18x0 series of controllers.  I
> believe the 1810 is a 4-port, and the 1820 is an 8-port SATA card.  I just
> installed an 1820 (just over $200 at NewEgg) on an old PII-400 dual cpu
> machine, and it is insanely fast.  I have 4 320GB WD drives attached to it
> in RAID5 config.

Really?  They install just fine, but every time I tried to verify or
rebuild an array they would freeze the system on me.  Highpoint support was
basically absent at the keyboard -- they not only didn't have an answer,
they couldn't think of any way for me to gather information to provide to
them.  They kept sending me back weird messages like "the developer is
aware of this and there's nothing we can do", followed by wondering what
kind of problem I was seeing.

> For the price, camparitively to a 3Ware card, I think it's one of the
> absolute best value/performance cards I've seen out there so far.

Just FYI, all RAID functions are handled by the kernel driver.  There's no
RAID hardware, it's all being done in the freebsd driver.  That's why it is
so cheap.

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek