ASUS P5GD2: onboard SATA RAID support

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Sun Feb 6 21:26:24 PST 2005

Hello,

Does anyone have any success stories with this motherboard, or either
of its onboard SATA RAID chipsets:

Intel ICH6R
Silicon Image 3114R

I can get 5.3-STABLE to see both controllers, but it sees the two
disks as ad4 and ad6, not as the RAID1 array I am trying to construct.

It seems I didn't do quite enough research before buying this
motherboard.  Is the consensus that both of these chipsets are junk
anyway?  Should I purchase a standalone SATA RAID controller (if so,
which one?), or use one of the onboard controllers and overlay
software RAID1?  Any opinions appreciated.

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/
h  http://paul.hoadley.name/