HDD

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Thu Dec 15 12:04:00 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 06:47:49PM +0100, Alexandre DELAY wrote:
> The only prices I found about this kind of product is at:
> http://www.psism.com/flashdrive.htm
>
> It is still expensive, but when I see the price of last year's usb flash
> disks compared to todays, the ratio is 1/2. I bet this will follow usb
> drives prices.

Well, there's the rub. It will take a lot of price halvings for flash
drives to even get close.

If you take ZipZoomFly as a typical online retailer, they are selling
400GB IDE drives for $251 and 4GB flash drives for $236. That works
out to $0.63/GB for the hard disk and $59/GB for the flash drive. This
represents a ratio of almost 94:1.

I think it will be a long time before flash drives can make up that
price differential, and during that time hard drive capacities will
likely continue to increase and their cost per GB continue to fall. It's
been this way for the 30 years that I've been watching it, and I don't
see any likely reason for that to change anytime soon.

Of course, there are applications where flash memory drives have
distinct advantages (e.g. portable devices), but for mainstream data
storage, I don't see any real threat to hard drive technology in the
foreseeable future.

Bob

> I'm happy to see that some people are interrested by this topic.
>
> cheers

Bob Willcox                Men freely believe that what they wish to desire.
bob at immure.com                      -- Julius Caesar
Austin, TX