David D.W. Downey david.downey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 08:26:02 PDT 2004

is this being run on one of the Dell CPx series laptops? Similar
problem seen before where failure to first place the _console_ in SVGA
mode. (Sort of like kickstarting the chipset).

After that, X and other console + vga would properly detect the
chipset and configure appropriately for whatever driver was loaded,
in-house or not.. However, I've not used a chipset that requires a
kick under FreeBSD.

Also this is a workstation you're doing this from. It's unlike a
server setup, in which case, this wouldn't be a 3.2.1 build of the
client meaning you would probably be running GSX or ESX. I don't know
how well the fbsd guys have handled flaked chipsets in the handoff
from the client to virtual hardware ring..

The other tip off that console might work is the signature Radeon
Mobility. I do not know why, other than just buggy core on the video
segment. Every laptop I have seen with older ATI video line have
required the needed kickstart to svga through the console. If you're
familiar at all with linux (yes, freebsd list but..) this behaviour
was seen under redhat, debian, and slackware, leading me to believe
it's a wacky video. I'm not familiar with the newer versions of the
Radeon line, so I don't know if this is a fixed problem with upgraded
BIOS on newer machines.

My personal request coming out of this is if someone can confirm this
is the same behaviour on freebsd. (This would mark it as a 'Window's
Special' to me. Anyone else? Would the new Windows driver support
going into 5.3 allow him to use a stable windows driver to handle the
video?)

Sorry I know this went on for a little bit here, I'm just interested
in virtual hives such as vmware, MS Virtual PC, and i guess you could
actually include freebsd jails in that genre as well, especially with
csjp's commits on pfil and ipfw .

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:11:26 +0400, Alexey Tarakanov <tae at altex.nnov.ru> wrote:
> Hi, all !
> I completed VMWARE 3.2.1 (build 2242) under FreeBSD 4.10- RELEASE.
> There is an error "Cannot attach shared memory segment is produced:
> invalid argument. Faild to inizialize SVGA device."
> The part of my XF86Config is:
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Card0"
>         Driver "ati"
>         VendorName " ATI Technologies Inc "
>         BoardName " Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500] "
>         BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
> EndSection
> In what can be a problem?
> --