Asus A7N8X-E w/SATA and SCSI, 4.10 sys install snafu

Tony Holmes tony at crosswinds.net
Sun Sep 12 05:28:45 PDT 2004

On +Sep 11, Gary Aitken wrote:
> The BIOS reported devices and FreeBSD 4.10 boot probe (see below),
> show the scsi device (pci1 at 6.0, irq11), but fbsd doesn't recognize it.
>
> Freebsd isn't recognizing
>   the buslogic controller (bt0) device (pci1, device 6.0),
>   the sata device (pci1 device 11.0),
>   or either of the network devices (pci0 device 4.0, pci1 device 4.0).

I can chime in with a "me too" here, but with an Adaptec 29160 and Promise
SATA controller. I successfully installed 4.9-RELEASE on a system. I later
cvsup'd to 4.10-Stable and the SCSI isn't seen at all. BIOS probes it, but
FreeBSD does not - appears to be a serious regression (which was reported
to -scsi but no response).

For me the boot would hang at the "Resetting SCSI" stage of the boot and
not continue. Oddly, if I use an older 2940, it is recognized and the boot
continues.

If the SATA card is in the system, neither will boot.

--
Tony Holmes

Ph: (416) 993-1219

Founder and Senior Systems Architect