Multiprocessor system VS one processor system

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fri Mar 19 02:36:10 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Lanny Baron wrote:

> Hi Erich,
> Yes you are right. A Server Board cannot be changed with the expectation
> that the system to still run.
>
> But as I said, with real redundancy, as some of our customers do have,
> such that if Server 1 died, Server 2 picks up immediately. The cost of
> which, is substantially less than that of systems such as you imply.

Yes, loadbalancing for simple things like mail or http also increases
the availability, so that you can pick simpler and therefore cheaper
systems, when it comes to databases or things, that cannot be easily
restored, some big machine should be preferred.

But its always the question, how important the service/data is to the
customer. In typical low-budget webhosting scenario, where a customer
pays 1$/month or so, including a domain, the availability is not that
important compared to travel agencies, money institutes etc...

Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)