Sis645DX+ / Sis961B + 4.8

Kim Akius kim_akius at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 16:30:01 PDT 2003

HELLO!

Ive just installed FreeBSD 4.8 on my PC, but I cant seem to get the sound to
work. Ive added "option PNPBIOS" and "device pcm" to the kernel, and
compiled it, but that didnt helt. DMESG reports 4 unreqeognized pci-devices,
as follows:
"
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1039, dev=0x7012) at 2.7 irq 11
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x0004) at 11.0 irq 11
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x7003) at 11.1
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x4001) at 11.2 irq 5
"
The top one of these pops up a lot earlier than the other ones. Dont ask me
why. When I try running UMIX I get the following error:
"
umix: /dev/mixer: Device not configured
umix: error initializing mixer device
"
and XMMS gives me the following:
"
** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device
not configured
"
together with:
"
Couldnt open audio
Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected.
2. No other program is blocking the soundcard.
3. Your soundcard is configured properly.
"

The setup contains a ECS P4S5A / DX+ motherboard, with a SIS645DX+
Northbridge, and a SIS961B Southbridge. The sound-chip itself is identified
as a "RealTek ALC201A AC97"-chip. I belive the sis900 driver worked on a
previous slackware installation, not certain about this though. And I also
keep on getting the AT-error that apparently a lot of other people are
getting, so I need to set "hw.ata.ata_dma=0" at each boot, disableing DMA.

I will be gratefull for any help and/or efforts made, thanks. /Kim

Ps: Please be patient with my language and knowledge. But dont hesitate to
point out my mistakes.