comparison between DELL 2650 and HPQ ML 380 G3

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu May 29 03:50:16 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 01:50:01AM -0500, denisz at despammed.com wrote:
>currently we're investigating HPQ ML380G3 and Dell2650 to determine
>which one runs FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE better.

Define "better".

>On rawio bencmarking performed, both system shows comparable result
>with some advantage on Smart Array system.

/usr/ports/rawio/pkg-descr states:
"It is intended for comparisons of storage devices on a single system,
 and is not suited for cross-platform performance testing."
Based on this, I'd trust the postmark results - assuming your application
uses lots of ephemeral, small files.

>Or is there a better benchmarking tools to compare those systems ?

The best benchmark is your application.

Peter