comparison between DELL 2650 and HPQ ML 380 G3

denisz at despammed.com denisz at despammed.com
Mon May 26 23:50:04 PDT 2003

Dear all,

currently we're investigating HPQ ML380G3 and Dell2650 to determine which one runs FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE better.

One of interesting thing is the performance of the disk subsystem (PERC/3Di on DELL and Smart Array 5i on HPQ). The PERC/3Di using aac driver, while Smart Array 5i using ciss driver. Both system configured using RAID-5.

On rawio bencmarking performed, both system shows comparable result with some advantage on Smart Array system.

However when postmark benchmark performed, the PERC/3Di wins almost 2.5 times faster than Smart Array.

I wonder if any of you also performed some benchmarking on any of those brands mentioned above could share opinions/advise.

Or is there a better benchmarking tools to compare those systems ?

Inputs/advise are very welcomed.

Thanks,
-denisz-