despairing with apache httpd + php

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 15:29:12 UTC 2014

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get a simple Apache HTTPD and mod_php
install for running mediawiki (mysql) under FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE

I can't get a working system whichever way I try.  Either mod_php.so
doesn't seem to get built or I'm getting XML problems (Class 'DOMDocument'
not found)

I've tried installing packages with the new "pkg" tool

I've tried compiling from ports.

I've tried downloading Apache and PHP source and building those.

Has anyone done this?  I didn't think I was trying anything exotic here but
I've wasted two days now!

Aled