run-queue length question

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 12:34:05 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 02:32:12PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to understand what FreeBSD kernel counts for run-queue length.
>
> Traditional we count as queue length: number of processes which are running plus
> the number that are runnable (waiting to execute) - we *dont* count processes waiting
> for storage, network etc.
>
> Linux kernel has added into run-queue length the iowait processes which makes
> load average values big and disproportionate to the reality for example during
> disk io tests.
>
> How does FreeBSD handle this part ? Is the queue length simple the number of
> running processes + waiting to run or not as we used to have in UNIX world ?

It is the Linux which follows the traditional definition of the load,
by counting running, ready to run and 'blocked on the fast i/o' processes
as adding to the load average.  Also, I remember that FreeBSD up to 4.x
followed this definition.

Sometime during the 5.x rewrites the load was redefined to only count
running + ready to run threads, which is the current definition, used by LA.