run-queue length question

Stefan Parvu sparvu at systemdatarecorder.org
Sun Jul 6 11:32:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

Im trying to understand what FreeBSD kernel counts for run-queue length.

Traditional we count as queue length: number of processes which are running plus
the number that are runnable (waiting to execute) - we *dont* count processes waiting
for storage, network etc.

Linux kernel has added into run-queue length the iowait processes which makes
load average values big and disproportionate to the reality for example during
disk io tests.

How does FreeBSD handle this part ? Is the queue length simple the number of
running processes + waiting to run or not as we used to have in UNIX world ?

Thanks,

--
Stefan Parvu <sparvu at systemdatarecorder.org>