FoxPro on FreeBSD

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Thu Oct 24 03:32:15 UTC 2013

I did some debugging, and watched how the process was getting launched, and I've managed to get it to load!

The problem was that COFF files expect to be mapped into memory at address 0, something that processes are no longer allowed to do.

Run "sysctl security.bsd.map_at_zero=1”  or add “security.bsd.map_at_zero=1“ to /etc/sysctl.conf and you should have it working. We probably should either make an exception for COFF files to bypass this the sysctl restriction, or at least print a more helpful error than just letting the process segfault because it didn’t get mapped where it was supposed to go.

— Kevin