UFS related panic (daily <-> find)

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 16 21:22:56 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:49:12 am rank1seeker at gmail.com wrote:
> I've:
> Read whole disk with 'dd'
> Checked FS integrity from single user mode.
> Did a RAM test for ~5 hours (3 complete tests passed in a loop) via
> memtest86+.
>
> All passed without errors ...
> Now I'm posting this:
>

> FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r256015
> i386
> fault virtual address   = 0x25
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc083bd42

Same drill as before, see what instruction this is.  Actually, this looks to
be in the same location as your last panic, so a NULL pointer is 0x1 instead
of 0x0 again.  In my experience, this would still indicate failing RAM to me,
memtest86+ notwithstanding (memtest86+ is single threaded AFAIK, so it may
not stress the hardware quite the same, e.g. if the error is heat related,
etc.).

--
John Baldwin