patch for /usr/src/usr.bin/fmt/ (not 8 bit clean) for German & French

Jordan Hubbard jkh at turbofuzz.com
Tue Nov 12 02:01:27 UTC 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:

> 	I don't know about ISO 8859-1 and UTF-8, (I dislike & avoid
> 	national char set stuff as much as possible), but I want

Well, nobody can ever accuse you of following the herd!   If there ever was a herd you were a member of, in fact, I’m sure the species has long since gone extinct. ;-)

Seriously though, this war is over and UTF-8 won.  There may be some small pockets of resistance, but they’re demographically less than significant (insert standard analogy here of soldiers still fighting WWII on isolated islands in the Pacific).  The Linux crowd switched as early as 2002, and OS X has been using UTF-8 on the CLI as the default for at least 5 years now.

Required reading:
	http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
	http://www.madboa.com/geek/utf8/

P.S. UTF-8 is not a “national character set” either.  It was actually invented by Ken Thompson in 1992 and drawn on a placemat (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/utf-8-history.txt).  It has an excellent pedigree. :)

- Jordan