patch for /usr/src/usr.bin/fmt/ (not 8 bit clean) for German & French

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Nov 12 01:15:29 UTC 2013

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Julian H. Stacey
>Organization:	http://berklix.com BSD Linux Unix Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen.
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	patch for /usr/src/usr.bin/fmt/ (not 8 bit clean) for German & French
>Severity:	non-critical
>Priority:	low
>Category:	bin
>Class:		change-request
>Release:	FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 amd64
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD fire.js.berklix.net 8.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Aug 20 18:20:09 CEST 2012 jhs at fire.js.berklix.net:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/FIRE64.small amd64

	2003 I looked at fmt.c to make it 8 bit clean for 4.8-RELEASE,
	I was conservative & my patches did just a subset, I recall.

	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/gen/usr.bin/fmt/

	I maintained patches since.

	2010 I posted to hackers@ Tue May 25 11:29:20 UTC 2010
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031901.html

	& got 1 comment:
	Christian's from Wed May 26 18:05:53 UTC 2010,
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031927.html

	I'm still using & maintaining patches through to current & 10.0-BETA3,

	Tonight 2 BSD people (cc'd) asked I'd sent patches,
	so this also a send-pr.

	WRT Christian's comment from Wed May 26 18:05:53 UTC 2010,

	I don't know about ISO 8859-1 and UTF-8, (I dislike & avoid
	national char set stuff as much as possible), but I want
	to be able to edit files that simultaneously contain eg all
	of English German & French etc, so setting some var to eg
	just German would be inappropriate.  8 bit clean would be ideal,
	next best would be my patches I suppose.

	We no longer use 7 bit teletypes, & no longer need parity,
	so fmt.c could be made pretty much 8 bit clean, (apart from
	eg Null etc which'd doubtless be too much hastle).    - Or
	it can be tweaked to allow some chars as I recall I did,

	Options presumably are still the 4 from Tue May 25
	11:29:20 UTC 2010
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2010-May/031901.html

	I assume either adopting Solution 1 (Discard "& 0x7f" ) or
	Solution 2 (my patches) would not disrupt locale users,
	but would stop fmt failing on some 8 bit text.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Read the code
>Fix:

	Look at my posting