Ports: make fails, if DESTDIR path has spaces

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 31 16:29:48 UTC 2013

On 31 March 2013 14:38,  <rank1seeker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Under 9.0-RELEASE-p6
>
> --
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Contains 9.0 world
> DESTDIR='/usr/TZ ONE';  export DESTDIR
>
> cd /usr/ports/benchmarks/unixbench
> /usr/bin/make showconfig
> --
>

> Errors:
> -------
> [: /usr/TZ: unexpected operator
> ===>  Creating some important subdirectories
> [: /usr/TZ: unexpected operator
> ===> /tmp subdirectory has been successfully created
> [: /usr/TZ: unexpected operator
> ===> /dev subdirectory has been successfully created
> mktemp: mkdtemp failed on /usr/TZ: File exists
> ===> Failed to create temporary mount point
> *** Error code 9
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/benchmarks/unixbench.

Yeah, don't do that.

Spaces in directories will always cause problems; I suppose someone
could fix it in bsd.port.mk, but it will probably break somewhere
else; spaces in Make variables have a special meaning.

Use an underscore if you're desperate.

Chris