considering i386 as a tier 1 architecture

Achim Hut achimhut at achimhut.de
Tue Apr 2 10:37:16 UTC 2013

Am 02.04.2013 12:13, schrieb Kimmo Paasiala:
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html
>>> http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html
>>>
>>> DES
>>> --
>>> Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no
>>>

>> I am NOT able to understand the merit of these products with respect to
>> their features and PRICES .
>>
>> It is possible to assemble much more cheaper full featured PC like systems
>> ( DDR3 memory , 64-bit capable processors , with a disadvantage about power
>> requirements ) .
>>

> Power consumption.

...Space - Price - temperature, easy to use, no Fans, no Noise...

I was surprised about this discussion and first thought, its some kind
of april joke.

Everybody talks about cheap new 64 bit hardware

But how about the hardware people are actualy using? In our datacenter
we are running (beside 64bit machines) a large amount of 32bit servers.
We have a room full of spare parts, spare servers...

And we have no reason to change them to 64bit hardware. HP, IBM, they
all run since years and i am shure, they make 5-10 more years :-)

And we dont want to stop using FreeBSD after V9.x or so.

Dont forget there are a lot of different people with different needs out
there. Not everybody puts his focus on a cheap desktop PC thats thrown
away after 3 years

Achim