Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Wed Jun 20 10:03:18 UTC 2012

> Personally I think that the kernel boot time is the killer here and the work should go there and second on the rc system.
exactly what i wrote. rc.d subsystem is quick, and anyway in special cases
just delete in and write all needed startup in /etc/rc

i assume it is embedded system - in which boot time is very important.

> PS: nothing wrong in having an OS that boots faster, performs better is more stable than others :). This is something I would like
> to see as an improvement. Wouldn't you ?
of course i do!

Do you have USB in that system?

Compile whole USB as module. put kldload statement in /etc/rc that way
(example):

/sbin/kldload /boot/kernel/uhci.ko &

USB takes long in kernel, but now it will go in background while the rest
initializes.