Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

claudiu vasadi claudiu.vasadi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 09:49:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Wojciech Puchar <
wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> Improving boot times can be done in two ways:
>>
>> 1) Implement proper service dependency handling framework
>> 2) Implement ad-hoc service dependencies
>>

> ZERO) Speed up kernel startup
>
> With custom kernel containing only needed devices it is still a bit long.
>
> rc.d/* things take trivial amount of time compared to kernel!
>

> Anyway
>
>  -1) don't care in most cases. FreeBSD is rarely rebooted.

While you may not care, please bear in mind that there are users who do
care.

Personally I think that the kernel boot time is the killer here and the
work should go there and second on the rc system.

PS: nothing wrong in having an OS that boots faster, performs better is
more stable than others :). This is something I would like to see as an
improvement. Wouldn't you ?

--
Best regards,
Claudiu Vasadi