Installation of kernel symbols file in a separate directory [Was: Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2]

Mark Johnston markjdb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:05:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:47:59PM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:30:06AM -0400, Ryan Stone wrote:
> > You might be interested in this PR:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153157&cat=
> >
> > This does the same thing for userland .symbols files, and teaches gdb
> > how to find them.
>
> The patch is not committable as is. In particular, the patch hardcodes
> the /usr/src as the source location.
>
> I think the right thing to do is to install the stripbin.sh into usr/bin,
> might be under the name like freebsd_stripbin. Also, I think the script
> should use the full pathes to the utilities, but I am not sure about
> this part, esp. in regard the cross-build.

Ok, I'll look at fixing this. At a quick glance, I don't see any
way to replace the hardcoded /usr/src with a variable, since
bsd.own.mk can be included from anywhere within the tree. So maybe
installing stripbin.sh to /usr/bin is the only way to go.

I'll also do some testing with cross-builds and send a revised patch
to the PR.

-Mark