Installation of kernel symbols file in a separate directory [Was: Re: Experiences with FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2]

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:48:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:30:06AM -0400, Ryan Stone wrote:
> You might be interested in this PR:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=153157&cat=
>
> This does the same thing for userland .symbols files, and teaches gdb
> how to find them.

The patch is not committable as is. In particular, the patch hardcodes
the /usr/src as the source location.

I think the right thing to do is to install the stripbin.sh into usr/bin,
might be under the name like freebsd_stripbin. Also, I think the script
should use the full pathes to the utilities, but I am not sure about
this part, esp. in regard the cross-build.