[nvi-iconv]I need some help on testing/code review

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 21:07:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm seeking some help on getting my GSoC project, nvi-iconv, into FreeBSD
base system. This project adds the multibyte encoding supports to nvi.
Here is it's FreeBSD Wiki page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZhihaoSoC2011

The first step is to get some more testing reports. To be more
specific, I need some help on four untested CJK encodings, ja_JP.SJIS,
ko_KR.CP949, zh_TW.Big5, zh_HK.Big5HKSCS, and other non-Unicode, non-CJK
multibyte encodings (if they're available on FreeBSD).

The patches can be downloaded at:

SVN diff:
https://github.com/downloads/lichray/nvi2/nvi2-freebsd-2011-08-26-svn.diff.gz
Git diff:
https://github.com/downloads/lichray/nvi2/nvi2-freebsd-2011-08-26.diff.gz

To test the new nvi, you need a src tree >= 9.0b and a base
system built WITH_ICONV=1.

Patch the src tree with (a file needs to be moved with -E):

patch -p0 -E < /path/to/nvi2-freebsd-2011-08-26.diff

And cd to usr.bin/vi under the src tree,

make WITH_ICONV=1

Now you can run the new nvi with ./nvi . If you want to replace the
system vi with this one, make WITH_ICONV=1 install

*NOTE*

FreeBSD's libncursesw only recognizes a subset of the locales which
are supported by libc. Which means, not all libc locales work. For
example, LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK won't work; use zh_CN.eucCN instead.

And I need some help on code review. The code is based on nvi-1.79 and
nvi-1.8x (which is used by NetBSD). A committer with some experience on
libiconv is preferred.

--
Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray
4BSD -- http://4bsd.biz/