Limiting disk I/O by jail or uid?

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Thu Nov 24 14:51:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:14:58AM +0100, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 24.11.2011 um 09:15 schrieb Jason Hellenthal:
>

> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > This is probably what you are looking for. Give it a shot.
> >
> > https://jhell.googlecode.com/hg/base/vendor/vehosting/slowdown.c
>
> Just tried this: Unfortunately, my app is not slowed down sufficiently.  I'm afraid I need something that actually re-prioritizes actual disk I/O.

What app is this ?

Considering the above code is a wrapper for stat() fstat() lstat() syscalls and you only seen a small decrease I would believe its using something else quite intensively but without the application at hand or at least a ktrace(1) or a truss(1) of the running proccess, I don't think there is much that can be done.

It would be nice if something like this was natively available but we tend to lack a few things here in FreeBSD that can be seen elsewhere.