Approaching the limit on PV entries

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Tue Nov 22 15:29:11 UTC 2011

Hello All
 I want to get to the bottom of a warning in dmesg. On 7.2-RELEASE and
7.3-RELEASE I have seen the following warning in dmesg.

Approaching the limit on PV entries, consider increasing either the
vm.pmap.shpgperproc or the vm.pmap.pv_entry_max sysctl.

So looking around I see a few posts here and there about how to tune
the sysctls to address the warning however I am not 100% sure what
each value does.
It appears changing vm.pmap.shpgperproc affects the value of
vm.pmap.pv_entry_max . Can someone explain the relationship of the two
sysctls. Also
what pitfalls of changing them are. Also why would setting
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1  effect the pv entries. Is this supposed to
lower the pv entries ?

Some details on the systems where I saw this.

FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p5 amd64
2G RAM + 2G SWAP
1 single core opteron
Superpages are enabled
The servers are high traffic web-servers serving static content.

tunings

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
kern.ipc.nmbclusters=32768
kern.ipc.somaxconn=1024