GSoC'11: DWARF2 call frame information

Xingxing Pan panxingxing at mprc.pku.edu.cn
Sun Mar 20 03:08:11 UTC 2011

2011/3/20 Chagin Dmitry <dchagin at freebsd.org>:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:36:39AM +0800, Xingxing Pan wrote:
>> Hi, everyone.
>>
>> I'm a student interested in the project "DWARF2 call frame
>> information" for Summer of Code 2011.
>> I'd like to know which compiler I will work on to add DWARF2 support.
>> This project is not tagged by "suggested". Will it be ok to choose it
>> as the target?
>>

> hi Xingxing,
>
> You should carefully reread the proposed idea. Especially in the
> "A debug kernel is not able to show stack traces with cross
> exceptions anymore. This is because we do not emit any dwarf2
> call frame information for any assembler code, since gdb switched
> to the dwarf2 format" part.
>
> And, of course, this work is very important for the community. So, IMO,
> it will be ok as the target :)
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Have fun!
> chd

Hi chd,

Thank you for your reply. I thought the dwarf2 call frame information
was generated by the toolchain.
That's why I care about the states of the compiler.
I'm not quite understand the proposed idea. Could you show me more
details of the project?
I really appreciate your support.

Thank you.
Xingxing Pan