NFS: file too large

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jan 13 04:57:38 UTC 2011

> I'm getting 'File too large' when copying via NFS(v3, tcp/udp) a file
> that is larger than 1T. The server is ZFS which has no problem with
> large
> files.
>
> Is this fixable?

As I understand it, there is no FreeBSD VFSop that returns the maximum
file size supported. As such, the NFS servers just take a guess.

You can either switch to the experimental NFS server, which guesses the
largest size expressed in 64bits.
OR
You can edit sys/nfsserver/nfs_serv.c and change the assignment of a
value to
    maxfsize = XXX;
at around line #3671 to a larger value.

I didn't check to see if there are additional restrictions in the
clients. (They should believe what the server says it can support.)

rick