NFS: file too large

Daniel Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Jan 13 15:08:21 UTC 2011

> > I'm getting 'File too large' when copying via NFS(v3, tcp/udp) a file
> > that is larger than 1T. The server is ZFS which has no problem with
> > large
> > files.
> >
> > Is this fixable?
> >
> As I understand it, there is no FreeBSD VFSop that returns the maximum
> file size supported. As such, the NFS servers just take a guess.
>
> You can either switch to the experimental NFS server, which guesses the
> largest size expressed in 64bits.
> OR
> You can edit sys/nfsserver/nfs_serv.c and change the assignment of a
> value to
>     maxfsize = XXX;
> at around line #3671 to a larger value.
>
> I didn't check to see if there are additional restrictions in the
> clients. (They should believe what the server says it can support.)
>
> rick

well, after some more experimentation, it sees to be a FreeBSD client issue.
if the client is linux there is no problem.

BTW, I 'think' I'm using the experimental server, but how can I be sure?
I have the -e set for both nfs_server and mountd, I don't have option NFSD,
but the nfsd.ko gets loaded.
cheers,
	danny