buildkernel error

Garrett Cooper gcooper at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 23 05:04:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM,  <mmatsuda at cybernet.co.jp> wrote:
> From: Dimitry Andric <dim at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:39:31 +0100
> ::On 2011-02-22 08:30, gnehzuil wrote:
> ::> I updated my kernel source code and try to make a new kernel using make
> ::> buildkernel command. But I got an error as follow:
> ::...
> ::> ld:/usr/src/sys/conf/ldscript.i386:66: syntax error
> ::
> ::Your /usr/bin/ld is still at version 2.15, which is too old to parse the
> ::kernel linker script.  In this case, first run "make buildworld", or at
> ::least "make kernel-toolchain" before you attempt to build any kernels.
>
> Hello,
>
> Does it mean we have no-way of source upgrading from 8.X?
> We need newest world to build 9.x kernel, and need 9.x kernel to run
> newest world, and...

    No; you have to do something like the following:

[kernel-]toolchain buildworld buildkernel.

    A plus side of doing this is that I do kernel-toolchain at -j12
and then do buildworld buildkernel at -j12 as well. It's much quicker
than buildworld buildkernel at -j1, and less error prone than doing it
at any other -j value in parallel.
    The handbook just says buildworld buildkernel (
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html ), and UPDATING
just says kernel-toolchain buildkernel installkernel (look for "To
build a kernel"), but there aren't any official directions in the
quick to find spots that mention those above steps.
Cheers,
-Garrett