Common OS/kernel code between freebsd and linux

Anjali Kulkarni anjali at juniper.net
Sat May 22 12:22:12 UTC 2010

Hi Folks,

I am not sure the right forum to ask this question - is there any effort done to find portable code between different OSes, particularly freebsd and linux?
Specifically, the networking layer could be portable between the 2 and there could be some set of APIs to call into the OS specific parts. This could be modeled as - if I want to port the networking layer or other stuff to userland, what set of code could reside in userspace such that that layer is portable between OSes ? For eg, there could be an API to access mbufs or skbuffs in freebsd or linux respectively, but the processing to be done for IP etc could remain the same. I don't know if this is worth thinking about? Please share your thoughts.

Anjali