To sendmail or to postfix that is the question?

Paul Wootton paul at fletchermoorland.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 13:54:59 UTC 2010

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>> I really wanted to use Sendmail as a friend knows Sendmail fairly well
>> and I have a Sendmail book, but what I am wanting is the ability to have
>> mail for virtual users, ie I might have 4 admin accounts,
>> admin at domain1.com admin at domain2.com admin at domain3.com and
>> admin at domain4.com and want all the accounts to be independent of each
>> other and not necessarily have a real UNIX user account. I know I can
>> create 4 different admin accounts say admin1, admin2, admin3, admin4 and
>> then use the "virtual users" table, but I can see that getting a little
>> messy and from the end user's point they are going to have unusual login
>> names.
>> I know I can do this in Postfix, but is it possible in Sendmail?
>>

> Yes its possible. I do that with sendmail for a friend's domain I host
> Here's an anonymised real operational sample from my server with comment added

> PS I skimmed but didnt really understand Matthew's posting, (not
> saying its right or wrong, just didnt grasp it), but I have sendmail
> working fine for my @berklix.org & for a friend's @surfacevision.com
> So Paul, you can use sendmail for this if you want.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

Thanks but unfortunately this really wont help me too much.
My fault for not posting it before, but I currently have 9 domains (with
a likely hood of another couple more being added), with an range from 5
to 15 different email accounts per domain, hence me thinking it might
get a little messy with all the UNIX accounts and virtual user table.

Cheers
Paul