To sendmail or to postfix that is the question?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Mar 11 13:17:03 UTC 2010

> I really wanted to use Sendmail as a friend knows Sendmail fairly well
> and I have a Sendmail book, but what I am wanting is the ability to have
> mail for virtual users, ie I might have 4 admin accounts,
> admin at domain1.com admin at domain2.com admin at domain3.com and
> admin at domain4.com and want all the accounts to be independent of each
> other and not necessarily have a real UNIX user account. I know I can
> create 4 different admin accounts say admin1, admin2, admin3, admin4 and
> then use the "virtual users" table, but I can see that getting a little
> messy and from the end user's point they are going to have unusual login
> names.
> I know I can do this in Postfix, but is it possible in Sendmail?

Yes its possible. I do that with sendmail for a friend's domain I host
Here's an anonymised real operational sample from my server with comment added
   /etc/mail/virtusertable
	hostmaster at sparedomain.com            hostmaster
	hostmaster at www.sparedomain.com        hostmaster
	#	I take the hostmaster cos hes not competent to.

	friend-local-acc-on-my-host at sparedomain.com     sparedomain-default
	# friend-local-acc-on-my-host@ is redundant as
	# done by default, but left for clarity.
	#	could also go to secretary-of-friend at anywhere-else.com

	# example at sparedomain.com             some at where_else

	@sparedomain.com                      sparedomain-default
	# this collects all of
	#	friends-new-colleague-he-hasnt-told-me-about at sparedomain.com
	#	random-guess-by-spammer at sparedomain.com

	@www.sparedomain.com                  sparedomain-default
	#	divert any mail re friends web site to the friend.

   /etc/mail/aliases:
	# switchable choice depending if I POP serve the friend or forward.
	sparedomain-default:		friend at some-other-domain.com
	# sparedomain-default:		friend-local-acc-on-my-host

PS I skimmed but didnt really understand Matthew's posting, (not
saying its right or wrong, just didnt grasp it), but I have sendmail
working fine for my @berklix.org & for a friend's @surfacevision.com
So Paul, you can use sendmail for this if you want.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com