About Marvell Yukon drivers skgeinit and sky2

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 22 08:55:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Anjali Kulkarni <anjali at juniper.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand, there are 2 flavors of the Marvel Yukon driver. One is for Yukon-I devices, and is called skgeinit, and other is for Yukon-II devices and called sky2 driver.
> Looking at the release notes for 7.0, it looks like this driver which was in sys/dev/yukon, is now present as the msk(4) driver in sys/dev/msk and sys/dev/sk?. I do not see a yukon under dev anymore. I see only 2 files in the msk directory, is it really moved here?
> Is the Yukon-II sky2 driver support present in Freebsd 6.1? How easy would it to backport this to 6.1?
> If yes, then is there a way to disable the skgeinit(which seems to be the default) and enable the sky2 driver?
>
> Anjali

In linux, sure, there are two drivers for Marvel Yukon cards, called
skgeinit and sky2. This is FreeBSD though, which has drivers called sk
and msk. If you check the man pages for those drivers, it even tells
you the history of when those drivers were added to FreeBSD.

I think that the two drivers support different chipsets, so neither is
'default'. msk(4) was added in 6.3, so backport to 6.1 might be
possible - have you tried taking the driver from 6.3 and compiling it
on 6.1?

6.1 is no longer one of the 'supported' branches of FreeBSD, you may
consider upgrading to a version that is.

Cheers

Tom